1951年，校董会接纳李光前先生建议，以校名应免除畛域之见，乃于同年3月11日，在中路本校小礼堂召开赞助人大会，同意更改校名。中学部命名为槟华女子中学（PENANG CHINESE GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL）。小学部则称槟华女子小学（PENANG CHINESE GIRLS’ PRIMARY SCHOOL）。
The education of a person starts from the cradle. It not only shapes personal growth but also the development of an ethnic identity that culminates in civilizational attainments of that race. In celebrating the 90th anniversary of Penang Chinese Girls’ High School, a documented record tracing the historical origins and development has been compiled for posterity. In addition, this archival writing relives the early aspirations, progressive challenges and academic milestones achieved by the pioneers, PTAs, alumni and myriads of Chinese education proponents in the region. For sure, word-of-mouth and piecemeal historical accounts do not measure up to a full factual update. Hence, the raison-detre for this invaluable publication to be a beacon of inspiration for the generations to come.
MODERN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
The 100-day Self-Advancement Movement, 1911 Revolution, May 4 Declaration and reformation of the Mainland Chinese educational system impacted greatly upon the development of Chinese vernacular education in Peninsular Malaysia. On 17 March 1919, Hokkien leaders from the Penang Philomatic Union , viz Messrs. Tan Sin Chen, Lim Lu Tek, Khor Sen Lee and Cheah Seng Tin convened a meeting of Penang Hokkien residents at the Peng Chang Association. The consensus was for the establishment of an exclusive girls’ school to educate Hokkien girls. In all, 91 people were entrusted with the task. As the initial costs for commencing the school session involved a transfer of the balance of funds from the Fujian Province flood disaster relief, the school was named Fukien Girls’ School.
THE EARLY YEARS
The proposed opening of Fukien Girls’ School on 16 Jan 1920 had to be put off on account of the lukewarm response from the local Chinese community. 8 March 1920 saw the school’s first day of operation at its premise in 29, Dato Kramat Road. Owing in part to conservative orthodox thinking, early efforts in providing for girls’ education met with disappointing, if not hostile, results from the general populace. Nevertheless, the Penang Philomatic Union leaders persisted steadfastly. A six-year primary school curriculum was introduced. School enrolment was not up to expectation on account of the non-strategic location of the school. Consequently, the school operated at a loss for several years. In 1923, the population had grown to a hundred odd students. The school moved to 145, Acheh Street, when the owner of the premise, Mr. Chen Jiageng, a leading local educationist, consented to an ownership transfer for a consideration of thirty thousand dollars. The philanthropist donated a third of the sale and purchase price towards the school development fund. From thence, for the first time ever, Fukien Girls’ School owned its premises.
CLASS FOR FEMALE TEACHERS
In 1920, a school registration enactment was approved by the British. Following that, it was suggested that Fukien Girls’ School organise a 3-year Normal Class in 1927 to facilitate the training of the local teachers’ workforce. This was extended to a 4-year course in 1931 using a new teaching curriculum. This class was the first of its kind in Penang.
OPENING OF FIRST BRANCH
It was deemed necessary in 1928 to have two sessions when the student enrolment increased to 400 students. Fukien Girls’ School First Branch was established at 80, Jalan Muntri and the premise was changed to 93, Hutton Lane the following year. There was another shift of premise in 1935 to 65, Macalister Road when the said premise was vacated by Chung Ling Secondary School. This premise also accommodated the students from Acheh Street except for the lower primary classes. A total of 27 classes was opened to accommodate 800 students.
FUKIEN GIRLS’ SCHOOL SECOND BRANCH
In view of the exponential increase in student enrolment, the Board of Governors established a third school at 37, Kelawai Road in 1937. This branch moved to 204, Burma Road two years later. By this time, a school building committee was set up with the purpose of building a new freehold school which could accommodate a large student population. However, the Second World War broke out and the schools ceased operations during the Japanese Occupation.
POST- WAR REOPENING
Refurbishing work was carried out in September, 1945 but the reopening of the schools was postponed until early November because of extensive damage. Priority was given to the premises at Acheh Street and subsequently at Macalister Road which had undergone bombing and looting respectively. The reopening of the second branch was abandoned. Normal Class was terminated and plans were under way to establish a secondary school which offered a 3-year lower secondary education and a similar tenure for upper secondary education. In 1946, a total of 28 lower secondary students graduated while 15 students graduated after completing their upper secondary education in 1948. Under the advisement of the Education Department, a 2-year Senior Normal Course was held for three consecutive terms commencing from 1947 to train new teachers. Fukien Secondary School had successfully churned out 326 trainee teachers to serve in Chinese schools since 1927.
ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION AND A NAME CHANGE
To commemorate the 30th anniversary celebration of the school in 1950, a magazine detailing the school activities was published. Thereafter, it became a common practice to publish a magazine every ten years on the school’s historical origins and developments. In 1951, the Board of Governors accepted a suggestion by Dr. Lee Kong Chian to change the name of the school more suited to its social-cultural locality, hence, the naming of Penang Chinese Girls’ High School and Penang Chinese Girls’ Primary School.
CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING
In 1947, a committee was set up to build a new building for the school to solve the problem of congestion in the classrooms. A plot of land along Anson Road was bought prior to this but the area was not large enough to accommodate the large number of students. The authorities later decided to purchase a 10-acre piece of land along Gottlieb Road at a price of one hundred and thirty thousand dollars. Under the supervision of the school’s Board of Governors, Mr. Ong Keng San and his colleagues, a three-storey block was constructed with 24 classrooms. The first phase also included the construction of another double-storey building which housed the girls’ hostel and canteen. In January 1956, students moved into the new premise at Gottlieb Road. The primary school students at Acheh Street were assimilated with the students at Macalister Road. Since then, the primary and secondary school students received their education under separate roofs.
In conjunction with Madam Chu Yuet Hwa’s 20th tenure of service as the school principal, a function was held to recognise her contributions to the school. As a gesture of appreciation, teachers and students suggested carrying out a donation drive to build a classroom and to name it after her. The total amount of donations touched thirteen thousand dollars. This drive received wide attention and support from the public as well as the Board of Governors’ committee members and alumni. A charity concert was held at Chung Ling Secondary School and proceeds from the sale of tickets amounted to twenty-eight thousand dollars. The Board of Governors was touched by the generosity displayed that it decided to build another 3-storey building which would solve the problem of space to carry out the teaching and learning activities. This new building would house science labs, Chemistry, Physics and Biology labs, plus four additional classrooms. This science block came under the second phase of the project and 200 thousand dollars was spent. It was fully operational by September 1957.
PING HUI TANG HALL
The third phase saw the construction of the hall to hold school assemblies. A donation drive and the construction of the hall took place simultaneously. It was ready by the end of 1957. The ground floor of the building consisted of a reading room, a library, a meeting room and an office. The first floor housed the hall, equipped with modern facilities and a 1600-seater capacity. The opening ceremony was officiated by Mr. Heah Joo Seang on 14 December 1957. The construction costs amounted to 300 thousand dollars. The school authorities were very grateful to the Peng Seah Society for their generosity and staunch support in the construction of this new building and making it a reality. The hall was named Ping Hui Tang Hall.
A decision by the Board of Governors to amend the school system and an acceptance of government subsidy resulted in an uprising of student demonstration which ultimately led to a riot around the nation. In the second riot on 14 November 1957, students from four secondary Chinese schools banded together in the school hall. These students protested against the age limit set for class enrolment and the medium of instruction used in examinations. This rioting incident abated only after police intervention.
FREE EDUCATION FOR PRIMARY LEVEL
In 1958, all primary schools in Malaya received government subsidy. As stated in the Rahman Talib Report, the primary school was named SRJK (C) Perempuan China Pulau Pinang. In 1962, school fees for primary level were abolished. All primary school children were exempted from the Year Six examination and were allowed to continue their education in the secondary schools starting 1964.
SM NATIONAL TYPE AND SM PRIVATE
Under the orders of the Education Ministry, it was compulsory for all secondary school students to sit for the MCE public examination starting 1959. Subsequently, a 5-year education system was introduced. Year Six students entering secondary schools were enrolled into remove classes to strengthen their command of the national language. The secondary school accepted the government’s offer and in 1962, changed its status to ‘sekolah menengah jenis kebangsaan’ after deliberations on the implications it would have on the students’ future especially on areas where careers and further education opportunities were concerned. Hence, upon the acceptance of the change, the school was registered as SMJK Perempuan China Pulau Pinang. The ministry was responsible for the training and supply of the teachers. The teachers also received a standard salary scheme. The ministry set the core curriculum and the school was permitted to teach the Chinese Language for 6 periods a week. The medium of instruction was changed from Mandarin to English Language and later to Bahasa Malaysia in 1976. Student entrance age was restricted to certain conditions and students were required to sit for the government public examination.
Besides that, the Board of Governors also built a private school as an opening to students who had obtained grades of Cs or Ds in their Standard Six Examination, overaged students as well as those who had failed in their public examination to continue their secondary level education. Administrative costs would be borne by the Board and a former educator was invited to be the principal of the school and to oversee administrative work pertaining to the running of the school. The school was registered as SM Persendirian Perempuan China Pulau Pinang.
To shield the students from weather extremities during physical education lessons, an indoor stadium was built. A donation campaign was carried out. Collections came from the students using their pocket money and payment by installment. An amount of 10 thousand ringgit was collected over a period of a year. Touched by the collaborative effort of the students, the Board of Governors decided to expand the project into a closed stadium which cost 110 thousand ringgit. The building was completed in 1961.
NEW PRIMARY SCHOOL BUILDING
After undergoing four phases of renovating and refurbishing the secondary school, the school building committee started to focus on rebuilding the primary school. In 1958, the school board successfully obtained a piece of land approximately 80 thousand square feet on the right hand side of the secondary school. Construction started in August 1961 and it was completed in July 1962. The expenditure was about 550 thousand ringgit. It consisted of 21 classes, 3 offices, a library, a canteen and a hall. The primary school then shifted to the new premise at Gottlieb Road in August 1962.
However in 1970, the classrooms were insufficient and the Board of Governors unanimously agreed that the primary school should be expanded immediately. The construction of a new storey was able to accommodate 6 classes, a gymnasium, an exhibition hall, an air-conditioned meeting room and an air-conditioned audio visual room. The total expenditure exceeded 200 thousand ringgit. The expansion was completed on 29 March 1972. To overcome the traffic congestion, the Board of Governors allocated a total of 10 thousand ringgit to build a tar road for school buses on the right hand of the school in 1977. Meanwhile, a basketball court which cost 10 thousand ringgit was also completed at the end of that year.
SPECIAL ROOMS AND A THEATRETTE
In 1968, the Board of Governors restarted the plan to build the special subject room which was previously postponed. This building consisted of an air-conditioned theatrette on the ground floor, a science laboratory on the second floor and a typing room. Special rooms for subjects like Geography, History and Mathematics were placed on the second floor. Besides that, the roofing was also equipped with facilities for meteorological studies. The cost of this building was 160 thousand ringgit. In June 1969, this building was officially opened by Datuk Choong Han Leong. In the same year, a handicraft room built at a cost of 10 thousand ringgit was also completed.
When the schools reopened after WWII, admission of male students was permitted at the primary school. Initially, the enrolment was limited but increased after the 1960s. This paved the way for the co-educational system to be made a permanent fixture of the primary school.
In order to provide opportunities for male students who would like to further their studies after their primary school education, the Board of Governors introduced the co-educational system. For the first time in 1971 and 1972, male students studied in SMJK whereas the private school started receiving male students in 1973. Because of the administrative difficulties faced, the school authorities decided to abolish the co-educational system.
BUILDING OF A NEW BLOCK
Since 1962, the students of SMJK and the private school shared the same premises to carry out teaching and learning activities. However, many problems arose. Therefore, the Board of Governors decided to build a three-storey new block. It consisted of a hostel and five classrooms on each floor. This helped to overcome the shortage of classrooms in view of the increasing number of students. The total cost of the building was 20 thousand ringgit and the building was officially opened by Mr. Tan Cheng Tit, vice chairman of the Board of Governors, on 30 October 1976. The students from the SMJK used the area on the first and second floor whereas the private school students used the third floor starting from the second semester of the same year.
RECONSTRUCTION OF BASKETBALL COURT AND SETTING UP OF COMPUTER CLASSES
In August 1986, two basketball courts were reconstructed according to international standards by the school board. The total cost was 32 thousand ringgit. Besides that, Datuk Ong Hoo Kim also made a personal donation in the form of a four- tiered seating platform for basketball supporters.
In September 1986, the Board of Governors refurbished the typewriting room and the computer laboratories. The computer classes were held to give ICT exposure to the students. The school believed that it was essential for primary and secondary students to be equipped with ICT knowledge. Computer classes commenced after twenty sets of computers were purchased. Administrative work was also carried out with the use of computers and this contributed to a greater level of efficiency. An AT Hard disk computer as well as two printers worth 10 thousand ringgit were provided for office use two years later. For the first time in the history of the school, Intel set up a E learning classroom in 2001. To date, the school has a total of five computer rooms and a web site has also been set up.
By the end of 1987, the school again faced a shortage of classrooms and the school Board of Governors wholeheartedly agreed to renovate the sewing rooms into 3 classrooms whereas the old industrial arts classroom would be transformed into two classrooms to overcome the problems faced by floating classes.
ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS IN SJK(C)
In the third school term of 1987, the Education Ministry promoted non-Chinese educated teachers to administrative positions in Chinese primary schools. This move received a negative response from the Chinese community especially associations related to the administration of Chinese schools. Chinese associations and political parties in Penang organized demonstrations to oppose this move as it was in conflict with the conditions for Chinese schools to be recognized as government-aided schools. The demonstrations were also aimed at preserving the identity of Chinese schools. Emotions were high and a decision was made to boycott classes at all Chinese schools for the next three days. The Board of Governors was determined to preserve the identity of Chinese schools.
UPGRADING SCHOOL FACILITIES
Due to the increasing school population and the passage of time, the Board of Governors and Parent-Teacher Association developed a schedule to upgrade the school amenities to enhance the learning environment. In 1996, the school library was converted into the new staff room, while the floor above the canteen was converted into the school library. The canteen food stalls were relocated. The administrative office was relocated to the right wing of the old block while an air-conditioned meeting room was on the left. A counseling room and co-operative store were located on the two sides of the school main entrance. Air-conditioners were installed in the Ping Hui Tang Hall and the stage backdrop was refurbished. A zinc roof was built over the concrete roof of the theatrette to prevent water leakage. In 1997, two cookery rooms, two needlework rooms and three workshops were built to enhance the teaching and learning of the Living Skills subject. At the beginning of 2008, renovation works were carried out on the school toilets in the old block. The renovation works which included plumbing and tiling came to an estimated cost of 100 thousand ringgit.
ESTABLISHMENT OF PENANG CHINESE KINDERGARTEN
A kindergarten was set up by the Board of Governors for the children of the teachers in view of the increasing importance of pre-school education. The first headmistress of the kindergarten was Madam Ang Wan Chuan. With an enrolment of 41 pupils, classes were conducted in the hostel of the secondary school by five teachers in two classrooms. Later the kindergarten moved to the make-up room before shifting again to the art room of the primary school one year after. In July 1964, it was relocated to the premises of SJK(C) Min Sin Macalister Road where the enrolment grew to 80 pupils. The kindergarten was relocated to the primary school again in early 1996 and by 1970, there were 177 pupils. There were a total of four classes, two of which were in the hall of the primary school.
NEW KINDERGARTEN BUILDING
In 1970, the Board of Governors made the decision to construct a new building for the kindergarten. Work on the three-storey building started at the site of the former teachers’ quarters at an estimated cost of RM 200,000. In the second term of 1971, classes began in the new building which consisted of a hall, library, play-room, fish pond and a playground. A new play-room, astronomy room and cheer room were added in 1976.
In 2006, as dual income families had become the societal norm, the Board of Governors decided to open a nursery for parents and teachers who were keen to ensure an early education for their children.
JIA SHU GUAN BUILDING
In the early1990s, the Board of Governors constructed a four-storey building with 16 classrooms to accommodate the Form Six students for the first time. The total cost of the building was estimated at RM 1 million. Upon its completion, classes which before were located in the private secondary school moved to the new building. From then on, the private secondary school occupied the entire building located behind the school bell tower. In recognition of the contribution of the Penang Rubber Association to the construction of the building, the latter was named Jia Shu Guan Building.
THE RESURGENCE IN PENANG CHINESE GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL (PRIVATE)
Since the implementation of the nine-year free education policy by the Education Ministry in 1956 where primary school students were automatically promoted to secondary school, primary school students were exempted from paying school fees in 1962 and with the abolishment of the Standard Six Examination, Peng Hua Private often faced the problem of decreasing student enrolment. Owing to this, it was recommended that Peng Hua Private be closed by 1989. To ensure that the vernacular education system continued to exist, the Board of Governors initiated ways to prevent the closure of the school. The authorities concerned accepted the suggestions of the United Chinese School Committee Association of Malaysia (Dong Jiao Zhong) to maintain Peng Hua Private. Emphasis was placed on the United Examination Certificate (UEC) and the Malaysian public examinations. Years of concerted effort finally produced the desired results when the response from students was encouraging. Coincidentally, due to the riots in Jakarta, almost 800 students came to study at Peng Hua Private. This resurgence marked the turning point in the history of this educational institution.
CONSTRUCTION OF THE FIVE-STOREY BUILDING
In 1995, the Education Ministry abolished the need for Remove classes. Consequently, the enrolment of Form One students doubled. Peng Hua Private faced a shortage of classrooms, especially Science laboratories due to the sudden increase in student enrolment following the riots in Jakarta. As such, the Board of Governors suggested building a five-storey building to address the problem. The building plan was approved in 1996 at an estimated cost of 3 million ringgit. Various fund-raising activities such as a concert and dinner were organized. The said building was finally completed in 1998. At the same time, Sixth Form classes commenced in Penang Chinese Girls’ High School and there was a need for more classrooms. Hence, the new building was able to cater to the needs of both schools.
By the end of 1998, the Board of Governors also built a super corridor connecting the primary and secondary schools. It was a passage way for students from both schools and would not only shelter the students from rain or shine but also ensure their safety.
PRINCIPALS AND HEADMISTRESSES
The rapid development of Chinese Girls’ School was due to the close cooperation among the Board of Governors, Parent-Teacher Association and the local community. Besides that, the school administrators were long- serving teachers of the school. Thus, this enabled them to achieve targets previously planned. Initially, the chief administrator of the school was known as the Supervisor until the end of World War II. Since 1945, it was amended to the Principal or Headmistress.
When the school was established in 1920, Mdm. Tan Wun Bee was appointed as the Acting Supervisor to administrate the school, following which Mdm. Choo Soo Eng was appointed the first Supervisor. The second Supervisor, Mdm. Chan Cheng Hoe, held the post until August 1923. Mdm. Yeo Hoe Lim succeeded Mdm. Chan and served for five years. In 1929, she resigned and returned to mainland China. Next, Mdm. Lee Woon Teck began her tenure as Supervisor for almost two years. Her successor was Mdm. Liao Pao Hoe who was the Acting Supervisor for three years. In 1935, Mdm. Chu Yuet Hwa was offered the supervisory post which she held until 1945.Since the establishment of the secondary school, Mdm. Chu had administered both the primary and secondary schools.
With the dawning of 1957, administrative matters of the primary and secondary schools were separated. Mdm. Chu Yuet Hwa then focused on the administration of the secondary school until her retirement in 1966. She had contributed 32 years of dedicated service and was the longest serving principal of the school. She helped to restore the school system after World War II. During her tenure, the school system had developed from the lower primary school, the upper primary school, the lower secondary school until the upper secondary school. She was also actively involved in the teachers’ training program such as the setting up of Normal Class and Senior Normal Class. Besides developing the school in her charge, Mdm.. Chu also headed the chief administrators for Chinese Girls’ Schools and had proven beyond any doubt her capabilities as an educationist.
Upon her retirement in October 1966, Mdm. Chu was succeeded by Mdm. Ku Han Fang until her subsequent retirement in November 1969. The next principal was Mdm. Lin Fu Tien who retired on 12 April 1977. Mdm. Lin was a strong advocate for unwavering commitment from the Board of Governors, the school administrators as well as the teachers in order to weather the academic challenges and the constant paradigm shifts in the teaching and learning process. Mdm. Teoh Poh Chu succeeded Mdm. Lin as the school principal until her retirement in mid 1996. Mdm. Teoh was a firm believer in upholding the spirit of the school motto.
Subsequently, Mdm. Yeoh Loy Cheow held the said post until her retirement on 25 May 2005. Mdm. Yeoh emphasized co-curricular activities as she believed that a balanced mental and physical development in students could only be achieved through such activities. During her tenure, Students Service Groups were founded. These units have been spearheaded by the current principal, Ms. Yeo Eng Sim, since 2005. As a believer in holistic education, Ms. Yeo opined that only those with high IQ and EQ could withstand the test of time as well as achieve individual happiness.
PRINCIPALS OF PRIVATE SCHOOL
The first principal of the private school was Mdm. Lee Hsuo Se who left a year later in 1963 due to her residency status. Then, Ms. Ong Siew Lean took over as the principal until the end of 1965, when she went on to pursue her studies in Singapore University. Her successor was Mdm. Lee Kim Luan who opted for an early retirement in August 1984. The baton was passed on to Mdm. Ong Siew Bee who served the school until 1991. In the same year, Mr. Ng Kim Hai took over the helm upon the invitation of the Board of Governors. He held the post until his retirement in 1994. When he was in office, Mr. Ng worked diligently to ensure the smooth running of the private school. He was succeeded by Mdm. Chen Chew Ting until 2000 and Mdm. Ooi Kim Choo until 2002 respectively. Both principals emphasized on ‘happy’ learning which would impinge on a wholesome adulthood. Ms. Leow Ghin Ngee has taken over the helm since 2003. Besides promoting the importance of moral values, Ms. Leow believes that it is imperative for individuals to be able to make positive contributions.
HEADMISTRESSES OF PRIMARY SCHOOL
Mdm. Leong Siew Ying became the headmistress of Penang Chinese Girls’ Primary School in 1957 until her retirement in April 1976 and Mr. Loay Hee Kim acted as headmaster until the end of 1976. The succession was passed on to Mdm. Lee Hong Lean as acting Headmistress from January to June, 1977. The next headmistress was Mdm. Chuah Beng Bee who commenced her tenure from 1 July 1977 until her retirement in November 1982. She was succeeded by Mdm. Ng Chew Lan who served from December 1982 until October 1992. Upon her retirement, Mdm. Lee Hong Lean took over the post. She subsequently retired in October 1993, and the position was succeeded by Ms. Yeoh Chew Guat Hoon in February 1994. When Ms. Yeoh was transferred in November 1997, her successor was Ms. Ewe Beng Guat who remains the current Headmistress.
Mdm. Ang Wan Chuan was selected to be the first Headmistress of the Kindergarten in 1963. She pioneered its setting-up and retired towards the end of 1968. Mdm. Chionh Seok Kim then assumed the mantle in 1969 till currently. She holds the view that preschool education is one of the pillars of Chinese education and which needs nurturing from early on.
PENANG CHINESE GIRLS’ HIGH SCHOOL OLD GIRLS’ ASSOCIATION
The Penang Chinese Girls’ High School Old Girls’ Association was established in 1941 and unfortunately, had to cease operating when World War II broke out. Mdm. Chu Yuet Hwa, the Principal, decided to reactivate the Association in 1954. Eventually, the Old Girls’ Association was revived in 1958. It remains one of the strong supports towards the development of the school.
In heeding the call from the Ministry of Education for greater involvement in the school’s educational development, the PTAs of PCGHS and PCGHS (Private) were set up in 1973 and 1993 respectively. Its main objective is to strengthen ties between parents and educators. In addition, PTA members get to share opinions and experiences in their children’s education. Besides ensuring the welfare of students in the school, the PTA plays a pivotal role in assisting the Board of Governors propels the school forward.
SCHOOL GOVERNING BOARD SECRETARIAT
In order to facilitate documentation matters among the Penang Chinese Girls’ Schools and the School Governing Board, a permanent office secretariat was proposed. Today, that secretariat office is situated near the entrance to the school hall.
Since its inception on 3 March 1920, the school has grown from strength to strength and shall be celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2010. Throughout its illustrious history, the school has seen various distinctive academic changes. Starting from the lower primary school, it has developed to the upper primary, remove class, teacher training class, lower secondary, upper secondary and Sixth Form or Pre-University Level.
Presently, Penang Chinese Girls’ High School, Penang Chinese Girls’ Secondary (Private), Penang Chinese Girls’ Primary School and Penang Chinese Girls’ Kindergarten are seamlessly magnificent and well-equipped with varied infrastructure on the school grounds. The student population has grown tremendously to its current crop of several thousands.
In keeping with the ground-breaking work forged by the school’s pioneers, contemporary stakeholders continue to strive for the full realization of new educational aspirations of the era. Graduates of the school spread throughout the corners of the globe responsibly bring fame and repute to their alma mater by sterling service to the community and nation, based on the school motto.
The selfless efforts of the PTA and School Governing Board in re-establishing PCGHS will never be forgotten. The contributions of donors who cherish and hold in high esteem the learning of the mother tongue as well as the sacrifice of the School Development Committee will likewise be treasured.
For sure, the good that has been done will be emulated. It is hoped the challenges that PCGHS has faced historically will forcefully impact and motivate future generations to constantly bring the good name of the institution to the fore.