History of SMJK Sam Tet
The history of SMJK Sam Tet is closely related to the progress of its primary school, SRJK Sam Tet, built in 1934. SMJK Sam Tet owes its existence to Father Fourgs from the local Catholic Church. Being displeased with the high percentage of illiteracy amongst the local populace, he organized a meeting with the parish community to discuss the issue at hand. The outcome of that meeting was a plan to construct a Chinese medium school for the predominantly Chinese community. A committee was formed to collect donations and to look into other relevant matters pertaining to said plan. The people showed great interest and responded encouragingly to help in financial matters. Thus, an administrative board was appointed to register the school with the government. Father Fourgs was elected as the first school supervisor under the leadership of Mr. Wong Chin Sun as the headmaster. Thus the first class started on September 1st 1934 with a total of 64 students in 2 classes. In the following year, with an increase in the number of students, the need for more educators increased in tandem. In view of this, the Board of Governors from the local Catholic Church decided to aid in the administration of the school by allocating funds annually. At the end of the year
1935, Mr. Wong Chin Sun retired as the headmaster and was replaced by Mr. Phoong Tet Ching in 1936. In the same year, the school had a total of 160 students and 6 teachers sharing 4 classrooms. It was in this year, that Father Fourgs, the founder of the school, passed away. Father Francis took charge as the school’s new supervisor.
In 1940, SRJK Sam Tet decided to build an additional 6 classrooms but the grim grip of World War II on Malaysia forced the project to be put on-hold.
After the war ended in 1945, lessons resumed and the project took off the ground and saw its completion in 1947. The school underwent further expansion three years later with the help of a Catholic school in Singapore.
Three Brothers were assigned to the school in 1950. A proper school building for SMJK Sam Tet was erected in 1951.
At the beginning of 1952, three Junior Middle I classes were started under the leadership of Brother Joseph Wong as the principal. An additional three classes started a year later and went into full operation. In 1954, Brother Joseph Wong was replaced by Brother Joche-Chanel Soon. It was also in this year that the first batch of Junior Middle III students graduated. A total of eight classes were in-service.
In 1955, Brother Marcel was appointed principal of the school. Under his steady and diligent leadership, an additional 4 classrooms, a Science lab and a canteen were built.
The school was upgraded to a National Type School in 1958 and the students sat for the L.C.E. examination. It was in this year that Brother Marcel left the school on a transfer. SMJK Sam Tet continued to progress rapidly under the leadership of Brother John Moh who succeeded Brother Marcel in 1959. He organized several donation drives to extend the premises and purchase sports equipment. His effort paid off with the construction of a new 3-storey building. The school hall was erected in 1970 with the cost of RM200,000. Other facilities such as the library, the staff room and the administration office were included above the hall. The hall was officially opened by the Yang Mulia Raja Di Hilir Perak Darul Ridzuan on 5th June 1971. To celebrate this occasion, a Science, Education and handicraft fair was organized. A Talent Nite’ and a dinner were also part of the celebration. 1971 marked another memorable day – the official opening of the Form 6 classes with an enrolment of 37 students.
Further additions were made to the school in 1973. A 3-storey Science block was constructed. The building was named after the late Mr Ng Song Teik, the brother of Dato’ Ng Song Choon. The ground floor of the building comprises of the school canteen. The opening of this building was officiated by the Yang Berhormat Haji Mohamed bin Yaacob, Minister of Education, on 11th May 1974.
In the year 1976, SMJK Sam Tet, celebrated her 25th anniversary with grandeur. The occasion was officiated by Mr Chan Siang Sun J.P., J.S.M., Deputy Minister of Education. Thereon, there was no turning back for SMJK Sam Tet as its student population increased steadily. All its land was exhausted and the facilities were inadequate to accommodate the increasing populace. To meet the growing demands, Brother John Moh, with the aid of the Administrative Board was able to purchase more land to erect yet another phase of buildings. This new phase was completed in 1985.
In the year 1992, Brother John Moh retired after 34 years of service as Principal of the school. In honour of his services, the school hall was named after him. He was succeeded by Mr Mok Soon Sang who was promoted to the office of principal. Upon his retirement at the end of 1992, Mr Yu Cheng Sun was assigned to take his office. The school continued to expand rapidly with a total of 66 classes, enrolment of 2,423 students and a 137 strong staff. SMJK Sam Tet did not only have huge buildings to its credit. Its academic excellence was also incredible. The school climbed the pinnacle of success in 1982 when it achieved 100% passes in the STPM examinations. Out of the 13 students nation-wide who scored 5As, eight came from SMJK Sam Tet.
The years 1991 and 1994, saw further success with 11 students scoring straight 5As in STPM. In 1996, 20 students achieved 5As and procured the school a national record. In 1998, Mr Yu Cheng Sun retired and was replaced by Mr Toh Siang Kang. In the same year, 28 students scored 5As in STPM and SMJK Sam Tet entered the ‘Malaysian Book of Records’ for excellent academic achievement.
Mr Toh Ah Huat took office as the school principal in 1999 and served the school for 3 years after which he was succeeded by Mr Loh Ghee Juan as the new principal of the school. The school celebrated her Golden Jubilee in 2002 to mark this auspicious occasion, the official website was launched. SMJK Sam Tet continues to shines in the academic and co-curricular arena.